Friday, January 22, 2016

Growth Mindset



I have not heard of Carol Dweck before or her concept of the growth mindset. I heard about it through this post I am doing. I do see this concept good for my school work because I do not believe an F should define yourself but a not yet is something I never thought of. I believe school now is too much about grades instead of really learning the material. Being a formal athlete I also can relate to this and it would be effective if used in the sports world. Once I got to college, I realized how much effort can correlate to your grade you want. The biggest challenges about learning new things for me is how the teacher gets their point across and the type of material that are assigned for us. I think the growth mindset is very interesting and I do want to learn more about it. My personal goal is to do my best in my classes and learn the most I can regardless of what grade I get. I am excited and worried about all of my classes this semester.




Growth Mindset

2 comments:

  1. Thomas,
    I felt the same towards the Growth Mindset approach – I think it can be really useful to appreciate just learning as much as you can, as opposed to seeking good grades. For me, it can be tough to do because having a good GPA is the difference between getting hired or not. It would be really nice if there was a better way to gauge a student’s learning than assigning them grades…any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again Thomas. The meme you have on this post is hilarious. I think it is always entertaining to go through the memes that Professor Gibbs has provided. She has an awesome sense of humor. I think this class is a good way to put it into practice with writing. There are a lot of opportunities to work on it.

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete